Thursday, November 21, 2013

Princess Kaguya Trailer


Filmmaker Isao Takahata helped to create this delightful trailer for the film "Princess Kaguya" about the transformation of a tiny princess into a regular human baby. The watercolor-come-to-life style is different for Studio Ghibli, the Japanese animation company best known for Hayao Miyazaki's films "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Spirited Away." (Link to video).

A commentary by Adam Bellotto in Film School Rejects compares the new trailer to the CGI animation of the big American studios. Thanks, Bryn

7 comments:

nimotei said...

It's awesome to see a film that retains the beautiful energy of storyboards and concept art.
I'm buying this as soon as I can.
So glad they did it like this.

Keith Parker said...

This post, as well as yesterday's post and the picture you shared yesterday on Facebook of your travel gear (including a book of watercolor paintings by Waterhouse if I remember correctly), all have me thinking watercolor has been on your mind more these past few days? Is that so?

Terry Stanley said...

Once again you've offered us something we probably would never see...and once again I am grateful! What a charming bit if film , exquisitely drawn animation. Thanks James!

Lefteris C said...

A less known Studio Ghibli film directed again by Takahata , My Neighbors the Yamadas has a similar art style i think. Looking forward to this.

James Gurney said...

Glad you all enjoyed it. Keith, yes, I'm very interested in watercolor. Just saw the Sargent watercolor show in Boston, and my next video will be about painting in watercolor.

David Glenn said...

I love the films done by Studio Ghibli. They are master storytellers. The artwork in this movie looks interesting.

Keith Parker said...

Ah, Sargent. Thanks for correcting me there. Looking forward to future posts and of coarse, that next video.